Attitude matters...even if you are from a Top Indian IT company!

2 Months back, i grabbed an opputunity to attend an interview call from the Top Indian IT company...As this company is one of my dream organizations where i would like myself to see working, i accepted their call and went for the interview. I faced, for the first time in my life, a panel of 4 people, all set to take my interview! When i saw them, i thought 'oh-my-god'...this was for few seconds but once i sat there and faced those guys, it went normally and exceptionally well! Went for around 45 mins though and at the end of it, i was thanking god for making this a yet-another wonderful round of questions and answers! As usual (and as i expected) i was called for the HR round of interview and there i faced 2 HR folks, asking the usual questions that went on for another 15 mins. So, on the whole, at the end of it, when i came out of their office, i was in seventh heaven!!! But somewhere, a part of my heart knew that i would not get into this most-dreamt company becuase of Compensation reasons...These guys are not that good pay masters and i was doubting that they might not match my current package also! And u know, it turned out to be 200% true...Read on... So, after 3 weeks, i finally got the much-awaited offer letter from these guys! This came as a shock to me, even though i was expecting an offer from them, but the way it came shocked me...There was neither a phone conversation nor a mail conversation about my desired compensation and about my joining time, but in the mail that i got (on that D-Day!), it said all... My compensation went down around 25% month-on-month and i got only 15 days of joining time (date already prefixed by those guys!)!!!!!!! Even though i do not appreciate their way of approach of offering me, i still appreciate the clear contents of the mail and the detail that they had given giving no room to any questions about the package. I see very few companies doing this! This is one of the factors i like about those guys...still... After coming out of this shock, i discussed with my parents, my friends and my neighbours who are and were part of this company for a loooong time...Personally speaking, i could not take a beating of 25% of my m-o-m salary because of my personal financial commitments. Considering all, i mailed back the HR guys of that company saying that i thanked them for offering me the position in their esteemed organization but i am not ready to come on board taking 25% drop in my m-o-m salary. After this, i kept waiting for their reply...atleast this time, they might call....
Luckily my wait ended after 3 days...where i recieved a reply from one of the HR saying 'Can you call me to the below given number so that we can clarify the things?'...a simple one-liner ending with lot of questions!!!
Here is when i felt completely the lack of ' right attitude' by those guys (My opinion...)
First of all, before sending the offer letter and before deciding upon the date of joining, neither did they call me nor did they mail me to take my opinion and interest. Second, after i mailed them back saying i am not interested, they did not call me (why should i have called them? They didnt care to call me up related to my first point, so now, why should i??)
So, its been now a week i got that one-line reply from them asking me to call and i have ditched that...no follow up from them, neither from my side too....Bad to lose this oppurtunity to be part of that great company but still...this episode made me go in my way...As my mom told me (to pacify me) 'your much awaited wish of attending and getting an offer from this company has come true...that is an achievement...its ok if you cannot make it!' So...its ok...:)
Anyways, overall what this episode tells me is that Attitude matters, it measures your Altitude! Being in a top company does not mean that you dont respect other people's words and time and just simply go on forming your rules! No matter what, the world revolves around you if you have right Attitude! :)

Comments

Leena Paul said…
Well said Pradeep,
This happened to me too.
After moving to bangalore,I was in need of a job.So one of my friends forwarded my resume to a well-known company.I had a call from the company HR guy (Mr.X) calling me for an interview.I went there and waited for 1 hour for the interview.Then a girl came from inside and asked me for my resume.After having a glance,she said 'Sorry!We are not looking for Java Ppl.We need Testers.'.I saw her straight in to her eyes and asked 'Mam,I was called for the interview.I would like to talk to Mr.X.' She said,'Please wait,I will inform him'.Mr.X came out and asked me to wait. I waited for another 15 minutes and Mr.X is nowhere seen.Another girl came out and said 'Look,We are not looking for any Java Person,If u want to get in to Testing, We'll interview you'. I said ' Thanks a lot!,but i would like to meet Mr.X'. She went off without an answer. Then I called Mr.X's extension,and a girl answered.She said she will take the message for Mr.X. I said 'Please Ask Mr.X to meet me and I will give him a Job'. I know i sounded a bit rude. But I was polite three times and I cannot let these ppl take me for granted.

Popular posts from this blog

Kalale after 7 years and Unbelievable Bangalore-Mysore Highway!

Recap of 2010 & the Fresh 2011...

A Unique Experience In My Life...